(Click this icon in the upper right corner of the page for a printer friendly version of the program planner.)
Curriculum No. 450
The Esthetics certificate is designed to prepare an individual to become a Licensed Esthetician, also known as a Skin Care Specialist. This three-semester, 760 hour program meets the requirements of the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) and graduates will be eligible to sit for the exam approved by the IDFPR to become a Licensed Esthetician in the State of Illinois. The program includes the study of scientific concepts, ethics, business practices, and the theory and application of esthetics technology. An on-campus clinical experience is included. This certificate requires 33 credit hours.
Favorable physical exam, criminal background check, drug screen, TB screening and signed student handbook agreement are required upon admission.
ADMISSION CRITERIA to apply to the program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Be a minimum of 16 years of age.
2. Successfully pass with a “C” grade or better in the following courses: EST 100, Introduction to Esthetics; HLT 122, Introduction to Nutrition; and PE 162, First Aid and Emergency Response. Co-enrollment in some course may be permissible with the department/coordinator consent.
3. Send official transcripts from all high school, colleges and universities attended to the Admissions Office at Kishwaukee College, 21193 Malta Road, Malta, IL 60150. Official evidence of GED (if applicable) must also be on file in the Student Services Office.
After meeting the above requirements:
4. Complete the Esthetics Certificate Program application for admission. Application forms are available from the Coordinator of Allied Health Programs and will be available to students taking EST 100. Applications should be submitted to the Coordinator of Allied Health Programs before June 1 of each year. If space is available after June 1, applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Esthetics Program Admissions Process: The Esthetics Program is a limited admission program. Review of all admission criteria will be conducted by college staff. Upon completion of that review, students will be divided into two categories:
1. Students who have completed ALL admission criteria will be considered first.
2. Students who have completed some admission criteria and/or some required program coursework but have not completed all will be considered next.
Up to 12 students will be selected for the program and other qualified applicants will be placed on a waitlist.
Overall GPA may be used as an admission criterion if the number of applicants exceeds the spots available.
If selected for admission, students will be accepted provisionally provided that the following documentation is sent to the Coordinator of Allied Health Programs by August 1.
1. Receive a physical exam from a Physician and submit the Pre-Entrance Medical Form.
2. Receive a favorable criminal background check.
3. Receive favorable drug screen and TB tests.
4. Submit signed student handbook agreement.
Students must earn a “C” or higher grade in all courses required for completion of the Esthetics certificate.